Monday, March 28, 2011

CV: Number of Graduate Conferences?

This is a question I found on a forum. It deals with the number of graduate conferences one should have on a CV. A summarized version of all comments included.





The comments were very interesting I suggest reading them all.
Full text: The Chronicle Forums


The Question:




So I've been told to have some conference experiences on your CV while in graduate school, and I have, but I'm also concerned of over-conferencing and/or other issues.
Perhaps some of the more senior lurkers here could answer these questions (I am in the humanities):
1.  How many conferences (paper presentations) should be on my CV when applying for a job?
2.  How many of these can/should be graduate student produced and how many major?  Any grad student produced or are these a no-no?
3.  If I want to develop a certain paper to publish shouldn't I present the topic multiple times?  Does this just look like padding on the CV?  I'd rather present a paper I want to publish 2x than come up with another topic to present just to have on my CV.  Then again, I'd rather have a diverse amount of offerings on my CV, as I think it showcases my various interests (all of which revolve around a well defined axis).
Thank you.


Summery of comments.
1. You cant have too many conferences on your CV but don't let them interfere with your work (don't let your grades slip). If your going to list a bunch of graduate conferences, make sure you have some major conferences. one conference a year is expected more than two is notable.


2. Graduate conferences are important for networking but unless you publish the paper your presenting, it just shows that your involved in the profession. They prepare you for larger conferences and publishing but are not an end in themselves.


3. No. You can rework papers and present them. If they are updated change the title/abstract. Graduate conferences wont stay on your CV later in your career unless you publish the paper. If you do present multiple times is should show growth and refinement for publication. Don't go to conferences to get a line on your CV. You should attend conferences to grow as a philosopher, polish your work, and engage with your discipline.


Here is one particularly good comment:


bread_pirate_naan
Preposterous
Distinguished Senior Member





So I've been told to have some conference experiences on your CV while in graduate school, and I have, but I'm also concerned of over-conferencing and/or other issues.

Over-conferencing is not being able to keep up with your coursework or other deadlines.  There is no such thing as too many major conferences (national/international).  A big conference is legitimate reason not to be in class.  Most people do not expect to have major conference appearances during course work.  Many or multiple grad conferences are not necessarily a good use of your time or energy.  It is better to perform well in your department at the expense of going to a grad conference than the other way around.


Quote
1.  How many conferences (paper presentations) should be on my CV when applying for a job?

You want conferences on your CV because they 

are
 can be the funnest part of grad school.

More than one.

One per academic, not calendar, year is good.  Two is notable.  Three or more is tiring and too many distractions unless one of the talks is on campus, close by, or requires no special preparation outside of your current activities.  But!  Some year there may not be so many conferences that suit you.  Apply to conferences that suit your work when you have the opportunity.  

You should go to conferences to get exposure to emerging ideas/research and to develop and share your own.  The CV is just your record of them.  Get more out of a conference than a line on your CV.  Conferences can be great places to expand your mind, not just your network.  Boring conferences are the product of aggregations of people who want the service line as an organizer, or the paper added to the CV to appear productive.


Quote
2.  How many of these can/should be graduate student produced and how many major?  Any grad student produced or are these a no-no?

One of my smartypants mentors pointed out that a talk at the disciplinary conference is a good thing the year you intend to go on the market as an unofficial job talk.  If you can't present every year, timing a major carefully may be worthwhile.  In some instances someone, a mentor or colleague, will tell you about their panel proposal well ahead of time.  Always submit to a major conference within easy travelling distance.  Always submit to a conference that fits your interests (unless you cannot arrange to be there in terms of your finances or other obligations).  Find out if grads are welcome to organize panels in your discipline.

It is never too soon to send in an abstract to a major conference if you can stand rejection.  You might get in.

Grad student conferences are an opportunity to meet the future of your field.  Consider the ranking of the program, the relevance of the topic to your project or the trajectory of the field/discipline and the keynote.  I wouldn't apply to a grad conference at a 'random' program I never considered applying to for admission, with an untenured keynote -- unless it was all about what I do.  I would apply to a grad conference that was hosting its meeting at a site like the Smithsonian (or similar regional institution of note).


Quote
3.  If I want to develop a certain paper to publish shouldn't I present the topic multiple times? 

No. In certain circumstances you can rework certain topics in seminar papers.  I pitched papers I wanted to write for conferences, got accepted, then asked for some leeway as I developed them in a seminar.  Or wrote the seminar paper and then tuned them to papers reflecting the abstract I wrote.  One can also do the sensible thing and choose courses that relate directly to your research agenda.


Quote
Does this just look like padding on the CV? 


(To me, your grad peer) It doesn't look like you have ideas or a substantive level of productivity.    If you have a MA in the humanities, you could/should be ready to be a productive scholar in a PhD program.  Your papers can show the progress/development of your agenda.  If you work slowly, keep it off the conference circuit and finish it up on your own time.  A sensible organizer would let someone else get something fresh out there before your retread.


Quote
I'd rather present a paper I want to publish 2x than come up with another topic to present just to have on my CV. 


You shouldn't be fabricating a topic to go to a conference so you have stuff on your CV.  Your ideas and your field should come together -- that mysterious thing they call 'fit'.  If you are at a good conference, you'll often get the publication (may not be publicized).  If you give a good paper and there are no channels in place, often someone will suggest a place to submit it.  Ideally, that someone is a reviewer for that journal.  

There are editors and reps of publishing houses running around at my disciplinary conference.  If your panel is good/timely, your panel may become an edited volume or a special issue of a journal.  


Quote
Then again, I'd rather have a diverse amount of offerings on my CV, as I think it showcases my various interests (all of which revolve around a well defined axis).

One good talk can lead to a series of related papers that frame a dissertation or develop an idea.  An unfocused CV does not look like a research agenda, but a diverse CV can mark a theorist.  Title your conference papers to display those relationships and consider the position of those terms you choose in your field. I've gone to some awesome interdisciplinary conferences that allow me to enjoy various interests.  I present my primary research at disciplinary/field/subfield meetings.  

Check the lay of the land around you.  Some people are great scholars and don't present more than two or three times in grad school.  They know their field and what they do and they should get jobs.  I am an outlier and like to travel (on other people's money as well as the annual chunk of money for presenting, not just attending, from my department).  

Always apply to a distant conference if it is near a collection or other site related to your primary research.  I have piggybacked research trips on a couple of conferences and saved a lot of money that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment